Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Firefly Dragon

I own a bearded dragon named Durango. I also love the TV show Firefly. How do these things relate?

Simple! When you're making your very own Jayne inspired cunning hat, use the leftover yarn to make one for your pet!

For those of you that are unfamiliar with the species, bearded dragons make great pets. They originate from Australia and come in a variety of colors. If you get them from a reputable breeder and handle them when they are young, they are quite sociable and actually enjoy being handled. I take Durango on car rides, where he sits on the front dash and watches other cars zooming by.

In fact, he is so personable, that he lets me dress him up in costumes of his own.


Okay, so this is the part of the handling that he really only just tolerates, but look at that first photo! He's smiling, right?

I am not really a knitter, so both of these hats were made by crochet. I'm sure knitting is easier, and would have resulted in a tighter stitch, but this isn't really too bad for my first go at a hat. Mine took me a few hours to complete (had to backtrack on some stitches and re-look at some tutorials), and Durango's took me about 20 minutes.


On a semi-related soapbox moment, if you own a bearded dragon and let them outside during the summer (mine enjoys basking on driftwood), make sure they don't eat real fireflies, as they are poisonous to beardies!

So, love Firefly, don't eat fireflies :)

1 comment:

  1. Soooo awesome!
    I dress my guy up too and he tolerates it haha!
    Love the hat, wish I could knit or crochet I would make him one :)

    ReplyDelete